Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just a quick one - in theory

So just this should be just a quick blog 'cos it's late and I'm tired and I swear I've messed up in this sentence so many times that I really need to go to bed! But! In the spirit of trying to blog every day but having failed miserably recently I came online solely to blog - yay for remembering.

Nothing much has happened today, Sietse reckons my computer parts might be here by the end of the week which means going to buy a screen/keyboard/mouse tomorrow. Fun fun fun!

I got an e-mail about another Rotterdam Photography Collective group outing - Vintage Black and White. And I've found somewhere that might sell black and white film and develop it - I'm so happy ^^ Should be lots of fun.

I went to Jeremy's (Ewout's friend) house today to play xbox games - we played Halo and I didn't suck! OK, comparatively speaking, I did. But I actually killed some people and I've gotten the hang of running around and moving my head/view at the same time. Pretty useful skills I must say. I might actually be vaguely good by the end of my time here - woo, accomplishment.

I had some musings that I thought of earlier which would, in my normal way, probably have become a full-blown essay but that I will instead summarise due to afore-mentioned sleepiness.

I was thinking about language and about how there are so many acronym words going around these days: omg, lol, wtf, ftw being just a few examples. I thought about how the written word was actually created based on speech. And now what we say often becomes written, "doing a delia" "chav" and "asbo" being new words/phrases entered into the English dictionary in the last few years. So speech becomes written words, and I was wondering how long it would be before written words became speech. "Asbo" is a fairly good example. Technically and A.S.B.O. is an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (or something) but it became an acronym and now just a word just in everyday speech. But will people start actually saying "wtf" as in w.t.f.? Or o.m.g. I wonder... A lot of these acronym-phrases have come from the gaming community and some of their words *have* leaked into everyday speech, if only amongst, well, the gaming/nerdy community - n00b being an example. N00b means a newbie but has now become a regular word, though it hasn't yet been dictionarified - which *should* be a word ;) But will these acronyms become proper words too?

It was an interesting thought and occupied me for much of the journey to Ewout's house. I don't really have an answer. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. But if it does, remember, you heard the theory here first ;)

Night night xx

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I love how excited you are about buying computer parts... Few things make me more anxious than walking into a Best Buy or Circuit City and facing the rows of mystifying techno things! A year ago, I bought my first computer in 7 years (yes, you read right :), and the whole experience ranged from frustrating to frightening. Wish I could've had you along!! So, have fun getting the new screen/keyboard/mouse today. And I'll cast my vote for "dictionarified" to be a word and you getting the credit for creating it!

    ReplyDelete