Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shopping, writing and podcasting?

OK, so only one of those activities is actually completed. Shopping I don't actually object to but today, horror of horrors, it was clothes shopping to be done. My step-mother wants me to look nice on Christmas day, which is theoretically not hard but I don't have many nice clothes really, or at least not matching ones so I had to go shopping. I had looked in the windows of Esprit on Wednesday and there were some nice things so I went in today. To be honest I get scared in clothes shops. I generally dress kinda lazily, unfitting jeans and a jumper and I'm cool, so when I go in clothes shops I feel like the nice clean pretty assistants are looking down their noses at me. So I panic. I couldn't really find the nice things I'd seen in the window, or if I did I couldn't tell they were the same. But then I found that they sold black cords. It was so comforting that I calmed right down! And I have some nice stuff... I might even go back next week. I bought about five things and the expense scared me out of buying anything else but there's a pair of sexy looking jeans and maybe - shock! - a skirt.

Today I have done some more writing, over my 100 words I think but it's kind of in flux as to when/whether I'm going to continue tonight. We may or may not be podcasting in a bit and even if we're not I may well be falling sleep!

Podcasting! Today could be the actual big, real first one. Fun stuff! But one of the guys is in NY this week so he only finished work about forty minutes ago so we'll see what happens. (No podcast today *sigh*)

Other news: I bought The Tales of Beedle the Bard today. I'd already read all the stories off Amazon of course but I obviously *had* to have the actual book. The 'commentary' by Dumbledore wasn't *quite* what I had expected. Especially because it shows no sign of his own quest for the Deathly Hallows, in fact he rather poo-poohs them and all who search for them/believe the legends. Now this was "written" approximately 18 months before he was killed. I presume, but I'm not sure, that he was already in possession of the Elder Wand at this time, he knew of Harry's father's Invisibility Cloak (and had done for 18 years) and at least 11 months before he died he possessed the Stone of Resurrection. Not to mention the fact that he'd believed in the Hallows since he was a young man (about 18 or so). The fact that he would be so condescending about the whole thing seemed out of character I felt. He may well have seen the error of his ways and realised that his quest had been in vain but that doesn't mean that he didn't believe in them. Anyway, I *had* to own it, just because, and the money's going to charity so it's all good. Maybe I'll read them to my kids along with other fairy stories lol!

I'm also currently reading "Barking" by Tom Holt. I do love Tom Holt, he's very witty and writes great stories though this one is not my favourite. All his stories are amusing, all the way though, and they always have laugh out loud moments. The best one so far is a vegetarian-becoming-an-omnivore being given salami and not being told what it was but when he saw a ...log(?)... of salami believing he was eating daschund. Very very funny, classic Tom Holt. But yes not my *favourite* thus far. There are lots of excellent little tie-ins between books though, not between actually characters but with made up characters, or little cameo roles. Great stuff. Actually I've just realised that I've waxed lyrical about Tom Holt before while reading Earth, Air, Fire and Custard. This book is better than that, which sounds harsh... Whoops, any way it is. Tom Holt if you're reading this I really do love your work, just those ones less so. I'm nice really! Lol.

I also bought 'Nation' by Terry Pratchett. I shouldn't be allowed money, it just gets turned into books. And disappears even more quickly in this wretched country where books are incredibly expensive - extra tax or something I'm told. A hardback copy of InkHeart will be 35 odd euros compare with £13!!!! OK so they have to import them I guess but that's just extortionate!

Anyway, I have books! And clothes to make my stepmother happy! And some new material to make my grandma a stocking - it's got Christmas trees on it. I'm not a person who goes in for big patterns generally but this one really appealed to me so hopefully it will appeal to her too! Maybe I actually take some photos of the as-yet unlined stockings tomorrow and post them. Once I've made my grandma's of course. I bought some new fabric that felt like lining but isn't and so is probably going to fray more and make a mess, but it's more golden so should match better. We'll see.

19 sleeps till christmas ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment