Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Aliens, pirates.. and... stuff

Sorry, it's quite late so this will be a distracted/potentially incoherent post.

Aliens then. I went to see The Day The Earth Stood Still today as I mentioned yesterday. It was quite good, not as good as I thought it would be based on my friends hype about it. But quite good. He said Keanu Reeves was born for the role and I guess he was, in a stark emotionless alien kinda way. I'm not trying to be harsh but I'm sure you know what I mean. He played it very well though and some of the ideas were kinda awesome. But the ending was kind of a let-down...

/*Spoilers*/
Basically the aliens come to earth to save it from us. And so Keanu Reeves starts the process which will eliminate human beings. He changes his mind 'cos he sees us being able to love and stuff and so they leave. There's a bit with John Cleese where they talk about how it is only on the brink of destruction that a species can finally try to evolve. Cleese says: this *is* our brink, don't take it away from us. So Keanu Reeves later decides that they won't take it away. But it just seemed to me that surely they should *tell* the humans why they'd been allowed to live.

It just seems to me that humans considered the possibility that they might be on the brink of destruction because they thought aliens were attacking. They didn't realise, nor were they told, that they were destroying themselves and the planet. So they certainly wouldn't understand why they were being left alive, it seems to me that a cliché "We are watching, fix your planet or next time we come we *will* destroy you" would make a lot more sense in the situation. Instead the sphere that Keanu Reeves arrived on (and misc other ones) just upped and left. Some of the defence people guessed what might happen but they didn't know for sure.

*AND* The Earth didn't really stand still.

A mini ben & jerry's ice cream tub gave me a paper cut and now I have a pirate plaster/band-aid.

Ummm... my mic works again :D So podcasting some point in the vague future - as usual ;)
9 sleeps till Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment