Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mmmmmmm Saturday

Well as per usual Saturday was my doing nothing day. If you're a regular here you'll realise that last Saturday was a freak occurrence in that I went out, I went shopping, I went clothes shopping and I had fun. OK you might not completely know my issues with clothes shopping or at least I've probably mentioned that I dislike clothes shops. But today I'm back on form with the whole getting out of bed at one thing!

It's interesting actually. I have epilepsy due to over-tiredness as I mentioned on Wednesday I think. And yet, unfortunately, I do not sleep well. Seriously, I don't. I rarely sleep through the night (again I think I mentioned this way back when) and I used to never be able to sleep late. Ever. It used to be that I couldn't sleep past ten even on a Saturday/Sunday. When I was uni in the first year this didn't really change, even with the later nights I kept I woke up at the same time and got *more* tired. The second year I was able to sleep later but now being in Holland, I can sleep till three! Which probably isn't healthy but it's such a novelty hehehe. I wonder why though. The depressed person in me says it's because then I spend less time in Holland if I'm asleep and it's a defence mechanism but I'm almost entirely sure that's not the answer!

Speaking of lack of sleep though, it's happened a lot this week. Whoops. I keep staying up late for no particular reason, except today when I watched a movie. It's almost like the end of term actually when all your good habits - going to lectures on time, doing school work - just kinda fall apart in the whole happiness of Christmas coming up. Maybe that's just me though!

So, Saturday movie review time. I just watched Premonition. It was one of those DVDs that I bought when I was compulsory shopping for other things - or just forcing myself out of the flat - and so I went to the movie store and bought three for 25 euros or something. So far I haven't done too badly - My Sassy Girl was another of these and as I've said, it's awesome! So Premonition could have gone either way given the situation I bought it in; not knowing what the hell it was about 'cos the blurb was in Dutch. But my luck held. It was a very interesting movie, very nicely done I felt, even if it was about a woman who thought her husband was dead... But yes, I thought it was great actually. Sandra Bullock played it very well, really portraying what the situation would be like - she does crazy/disbelieving/paranoid and scared brilliantly. I would like to point out at this juncture, if I haven't before, that I am crap at deciding which movies were good or bad. Well, I know a truly awful movie when I see it and I know a fabulous movie too. But unless it bummed out big time mostly I think most movies are OK to great. So if you ever disagree with a review feel free to say so as I probably have poor taste and you'll be more likely to tell me a movie was crap than that it was unseen excellence!

I started making the lining for my grandmother's stocking today. I had bought some more golden coloured material that wasn't actually lining material a couple of weeks ago and it's somewhat fray-crazy. It's one of those ones where the edges just start falling apart but so far it's staying together so let's all hope that continues. Otherwise it'll have to be gone over with a real sewing machine which will just take all my pride out of it. Yes, the stitching's not great and yes, they're slightly wonky but I made them all by hand and damnit I'm proud of myself - yay me! Or something.

Anyways it's five to one (see??) so I'm off to bed!

12 sleeps till Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. When I run into fabric like that, I either zig-zag or serge (if you have a serger) around the edges right after you cut it. Or if you're doing it by hand, just whip-stitch around the outside edges. Once it's sewn and the edges turned inside, it won't fray.

    And "lining" material is whatever you use to line something. The cheap stuff they sell as "lining" is usually kind of plain. For a stocking, using a pretty fabric will make it much nicer anyway!

    ReplyDelete