Friday, November 21, 2008

Time flies...

It really does. I'm going through that weird situation where the hours seem endless and the days seem endless and everyday you think "is it Friday yet?" but then before you know it *is* Friday.

Unfortunately I was only given real work to do yesterday and today so I was having unproductive endless hours before then, oh well.

I got to work on one of the things I was assigned yesterday before realising I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I'd been told to do something and so I interpreted that vaguely and set to work but this morning I realised that my supervisor might have meant me to do A or B or both and he might not know that I could already do A so did he want me to do B now? Luckily my other supervisor came in about this time and I told him my issue and he said "never mind about that for now let's talk about other stuff" (sort of) so now my project is all better documented and it might be going into production! I'm so happy, it's been my baby for two months and now it's deemed ready for people to use - real actual live people rather than myself hitting the 'go' button every so often. He also (through some task-management software) made me the project leader of my project. OK so there's only me and the other new intern on the project and yes I still have two supervisors but I don't care - I'm a leader, I'm special! Lol. I'm also easily pleased...

I was right, the lemon cheesecake was divine. Having been treated to four and a half months of cake (one a week) my colleagues have become fairly discerning but they *loved* this one. One guy said he'd be quite happy if I made it every week for the next seven and a half months! It was so yummy. *finds recipe* Here we go: Master recipe for a rich and creamy cheesecake I did the lemon "twist" that's defined later on but added the juice of half a lemon because it didn't taste lemony enough to me :D Be sure to blend it in well though, no curdling if you please :)

So yes, I think I'm getting the knack of baked cheesecakes and the starbucks one is perhaps within my reach! And then when I win the lottery, pack all this office software job stuff in and set up my hip london cafe I can park it right next to a Starbucks and see what happens! Seeing as mine will be made by hand from scratch I think I'll win... But maybe I won't set up right next to the Starbucks, I may have won the lottery but I don't need an ego or budget hit that big from the word go.

We hung out at the office pretty late today, Peter (my supervisor) was giving a short presentation as a practice for one he's doing at... a software conference that I've forgotten the name of. Possibly DeVoxx but that might have been last month - whoops! But it was pretty cool, there was a random guy there who was a friend of Peter's friend and had 6000 points on Stack Overflow which was his only reason for visiting - Peter is an SO convert with a whopping 1800 points and wanted to talk to the best apparently. It's 99% software questions so if you don't know or don't care it's not for you, I have refused to go on it seeing as it has taken in more than half of our emloyees and it'd probably be one of those things you have to create an account for, forget the password to and never use again.

Evout (the new intern) was back in the office today and he seems like a complete sweetie. He complained about the weather which also makes him my personal hero - I've been banned from weather sites at work and so now I just (have to) refrain from almost all weather commentary! I think I'm going to like working with him though I pity him... We've decided to move the project into production that probably means less coding on the things that won't be used in the release but more fun deploying it (which I don't know how to do) and testing it (which is boring). I don't know what I'm going to do about testing. I have to write all these tests and sometimes you're supposed to write tests that makes sure your program fails but the benefit of writing a program all by yourself with next to no supervisor coming in (and then being told off for not going to them) is that you think about how to make sure it doesn't break and the only person who needs to know is you. So there's no communication problems and you can just add in all kinds of failure checks and then when they say "Well customers might forget to do X" you can get rid of your little checks and turn them into one (or two, or three) bigger ones. So I have no idea how to make this fail at all!

Time for bed methinks

No comments:

Post a Comment