Sunday, November 2, 2008

Seventh Day Rant

So I'm reading Paperback Writer's blog (it's very good) and she's talking about first lines, which is helpful to say the least. And someone commented with a link to The Top 10 Most Outrageous First Lines and the quotes were good fun I thought. Lots of comments including lots about the 1984 first line: "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." And the first four comments about this line were fairly good, I felt, asking why it was outrageous as technically you could have 1300 hours and someone replied well yes but clocks don't "strike thirteen" etc. etc. But after that the people talking about the line got more and more rude, insulting and ignorant. It seems to me that if someone has either a) already resolved the issue or b) already laid into someone about it (I don't condone this) then there is absolutely no need to continue shouting at them. Another thing, I don't know about you guys but I always make sure I read other people's comments before adding my own, just in case I repeat something someone else has said. So the amount of people who commented with the opening line from "The Stranger" got to me because, you know, it's already been quoted and if it is absolutely your favourite line then say so rather than just repeat.

Still no writing has been done, I'm very glad now that I'm not doing NaNo, I'd already be trailing miserably behind! I think I may have a last minute cram before I go to bed. My mother came to visit and I had asked my stepmother to give her some of my books - I have about 12 with me, most of which I've read twice already *sigh* And OK my bookshelf is just shy of two metres wide and OK it's three books deep, but she's read the books so she knows what they look like and I told her exactly where they are. Oh well, now I'm *completely* out of books, trip to the bookstore methinks, so I should do some writing instead perhaps. That would be a good use of my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment