Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Cloud nine?

I'm getting better at this title malarkey...

Ummm, so what happened today? Nothing much really, did a lot of studying of Wikipedia pages, I think I've done most of the reforms on my project but I just wasn't feeling alive enough to call for a review so I read Wikipedia almost all day - on the important stuff of course, not just trawling through it for amusing reads ;) I've also spent most of the afternoon and evening periodically checking the BBC live updater thing that updates every few minutes or so with a new comment or tweet or email or blog post from randomers or actual bits of news from correspondants. Apparently we're looking at a 2am (GMT) wind down which is three o'clock for me which I just can't face unfortunately, I'd love to stay up and pay attention but I'm too old now lol! OK so not old but you don't need to know my issues to know that I can't stay up till 3 on a work morning! Anyway so tomorrow we'll wake up... actually around afternoon teatime most of the votes will be counted and stuff and we'll know who's probably president. And the face of America will change and the world will change.

It has to be said that, though GWB was a pillock and did some terrible terrible things while in office, he sure made America even more important, though that might also be because I was twelve when he was first elected and didn't really get politics! But still I mean, the changing of hands of the british government didn't make nearly as many ripples even in our country let alone the world and we're still one of the big guys right? I guess that's 'cos we all knew Brown was going to take over for like a year in advance so when it actually happened no-one really noticed.

The other thing is that Americans are so patriotic - it's amazing. The way things are run is somewhat simpler: do you want this man as president? yes/no How about this other man yes/no? Etc. whereas in England you vote for your local candidate and based on how many of each party get in the leader of that party is the new prime minister, or some such. Whereas you know exactly who you're voting for and the candidates really come round, they interact with everyone and you get to take a nice long look at them and their position and decide. But people in Britain are much more lazy I guess and we just don't care really. And I've certainly never seen much hype about it, you get flyers and that's kind of it, but again that might be 'cos I've only been able to vote for two years and I've been in Wales most of the time so I didn't know what was going on either there *or* at home! But I'm real impressed by the Americans and at how they've turned out to show their support and I'm sure they know that they're not only changing America but they're changing the world. I just hope it goes the right way!

In other news... I watched Catch Me If You Can just now, good fun. Christopher Walken scares me though, I'm not sure why, he just does. Maybe because I've only mostly seen him in movies where he's the bad guy: Mike from Stepford Wives (robot), Headless Horseman in Sleepy Hollow and a bond villain. But he freaks me out! I've just noticed that they're thinking of making an Italian Job II this being the sequel to the 2003 one - L.A. Heist, not the '60s one. It's going to be called the Brazilian Job. Is it just me or is that an awful *awful* name. It sounds like the waxing job of essentially the same name. Now I'm sure it will be good fun, I thought the L.A. Heist was fun tbh and I'm glad it wasn't a remake of the original but Brazilian Job, really!? Terrible.

As usual I've managed to talk for ages about nothing. Still no book work though I did start dreaming about their first kiss, then it turned into a dream about mice in the office. And then the vermin guys came to work today - talk about prophetic!

No comments:

Post a Comment