Thursday, November 13, 2008

Guilt

I'll give you a brief outline of my current situation: I am an intern in Holland, my boyfriend has just graduated and lives just outside London. So, to the crux of the matter. I'm not quite jealous or resentful or anything but... he just has so many friends and always doing stuff on the weekends, I just kinda wish that he couldn't function quite so well without me. Which is totally selfish I know. But, but, ahhh I have no redemption. It's only made worse by the fact that I'm so down here - because I don't have him or my family, let alone any friends. So I think that probably makes it worse. Not only is he coping so fantastically but I'm barely coping at all *sigh* What's a girl to do?

Nothing no doubt, just like I have nothing of note to say today. I meant to sit down and write but I was feeling selfish and unhappy and really sleepy. So I had a nap instead.

Oh! One thing happened today. Due to a variety of reasons I managed to be the first one at the office and so when I unlocked the door the little alarm box made a peeping sound because I had to enter an alarm code - only I didn't know mine. I tried to remember the emergency one I had been told to no avail so the most awful noise started. I tried to phone my supervisor but he didn't pick up, another guy but only got his voicemail and yet another guy before gritting my teeth and calling the boss! Only he didn't give me a code in the end anyway. So the other intern rings the bell - he doesn't have a key *or* alarm code. And he comes in, on the phone to my supervisor! Who tells us the proper code and saves the day! Still - a very nerve-wracking 25 minutes! I thought the alarm people were going to turn up and ask me questions that I couldn't answer and arrest me or something. Well not really but I did panic, I'd been living in vague fear of that day ever since I got my alarm code - and promptly forgot it. And it was exactly as scary as I suspected it would be.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you're down! I'm not great at drumming up new friendships either, so I don't have any brilliant advice there. Since you're interested in writing, you could try to find a writing group..here in the states I joined RWA and suddenly I have a monthly meeting + lunch out with a bunch of ladies who share my love of writing and romance. Otherwise, encourage that boyfriend to spend some of his free weekends visiting you....

    And as for the alarm thing, been there, done that, nearly lost my hearing when the freaking loud alarm went off. Luckily I figured out my problem by accident (was pressing one too many 1's), and it turned off before the cops arrived. Because at that particular job, the alarm contacted authorities way before 25 minutes (try about 3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so scary right? The problem is that the noise is so loud you can't even think! Let alone remember the code.

    I do like the idea of meeting up with some people but mostly I'm actually quite shy on first meetings. I've been thinking about going down to the Games Workshop and finding some geeks to be friends with. But then they might be Dutch geeks and can't help teach me anything about all those little figures etc.

    ReplyDelete