Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Third

Don't worry, I will stop numbering them soon it's just that Third has another meaning for me right now - I am reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and though I don't relate to it as much as many people seem to have done it is nevertheless a brilliant book. I'm not normally a "hard-core" sci-fi fan, that is, the one with more futuristic technology than fantasy but this book is quite beautiful it must be said. It's definitely going up on the favourites list. I don't really want to give much away but I'll tell you something about it and why "Third" is important. In this world, which is our future (sort of) there are population limits in a way, families are limited to two children and every child soon after they're born has a "monitor" in the back of their head which allows the people from the "Space Army" (It's not actually called that) to monitor their thoughts and feelings and how other people relate to them. Through this means they can work out who is suitable to become a soldier and perhaps who is suitable to become a commander. The story follows the journey of Ender Wiggin through Battle School and, presumably, beyond; but I haven't gotten that far yet. Anyways it's excellent.

Other things of note: today I saw a seventy year old man walking down the street and he appeared to be attempting to dress similar to the "cool" kids of today. This included the baggy trousers belted around the bottom, unfortunately for this gentlemen he did not belt them tight enough and as such had to walk along pulling his trousers up to stop from exposing copious amounts of thigh! Very funny stuff.

I had planned not to bitch about work on here lest someone track me down and fire me or whatnot for what I write but honestly I'm a bit miffed. I work for a software company and I'm doing some coding on a project, self-written in fact and I had a meeting today with my two supervisors - just a check in really. But they manage to make me feel guilty and nervous when I haven't done anything wrong. Yes ok I don't have a to-do list and no I don't have a time plan and my thought-he-was-a-friend-but-seems-to-be-a-traitorous-spy of a colleague has been been dobbing me in for slacking off. Ok so maybe that's all true but I finished my project: today. About an hour after this meeting. I've been working on it for three and a half weeks and have had four days off. I am an intern this is my first real solo project, it's a rewrite and redesign of a project I wrote in august through september but even then I had help. This I did by myself and despite slacking off it's taken me half the time. They didn't even believe me today when I said that I might soon be done, I knew I'd be done by the end of the day (to hedge my bets) and then, I was. And it just bugs me you know? Not to mention feeling completely f***ing betrayed by my colleague, this isn't the first time, he obviously just slags me off to my supervisor, wanker. So yet again I'm loathing Holland and my job and the majority of my life - yes I'm being melodramatic, no I don't care.

The story is having some downtime because I'm feeling sleepy and lazy and despondent to extremes but even so I'm planning little bits about it, thinking about secondary characters, fleshing out my knowledge as it were. I've realised that you can do a whole bunch of research but next to nothing shows in the book. I just live in "fear" of something Galaxy Quest-esque happening... Well not really but the idea of people quizzing me on background details if I ever did get published has me researching now so I will be able to answer their questions - laughable really but never mind.

I think that's the end of my ramble. Conclusion: yay for almost finishing projects, yay for Orson Scott Card, yay for old men reconnecting with their youth and boo for betrayal, work and Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment